Thursday, July 8, 2010

a failure at best...

ok. I used to go to the winnipeg folk festival every year. I'd usually go with my boyfriend of that time and a few friends or friends of his or friends we'd make there. we'd show up Thursday late afternoon or evening and just camp wherever there was space or if we had friends already there, with them. we'd bring a few things to snack on. maybe a tin of beans to cook on the fire and some hotdogs. maybe a few ready to eat veggies if we were feeling "healthy". It was usually fairly relaxed and we'd go to the festival from the campground on foot, lazily showing up at various stages not really knowing who was playing. falling asleep or just talking through shows, laughing, smoking whatever we had, just not really caring.

it was wonderful.

really some good memories there.

so when I bought my tickets this year, after 5 years of non-attendance, I was pretty excited to re-live those times. what a foolish thought.
as I am now a mother of one and an exhausted prego, I'm not sure why I thought it would be the same. I'm camping with two other mothers, a total of 6 children between the ages of 18 months and 7 years. We stayed in the Bird's Hill campsite the night before the festival gates opened so that we could wake up at 5:30 the next morning in order to get in line for the best possible spot in the RV section of the campground...which is a whole different area for me. I couldn't believe the amount of waiting in line that was involved. and all so we could find a good site, only to unload, repack, and move to another spot where the people we knew were. now doesn't that seem silly to you?I should also explain here that my daughter does not sleep well in places that aren't her own crib. she didn't sleep at all the night previous and therefore, neither did I. So at the point of unloading the camper the second time, my baby girl had awoken from her nap and I missed my opportunity for any kind of daytime shuteye. I was irritable and useless. And was very quickly becoming a bad bad mommy. Mid-afternoon I was near tears and decided it was time to leave ... ! The festival hadn't even started and my dearest and I were packing up and heading home! I still can't believe it. But we've decided that we'll visit the festival during the day and come home to sleep - seemingly impractical idea but in our situation, really the best solution. So now, after a full twelve hours of sleep, we're all geared up to return to the show and enjoy ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment